Thursday, July 21, 2016

Thomas and Friends Season 12: Poll Winners

The last batch of poll winners is here, and after that, I can finally get to the Pack episodes! So, what won in the season 12 poll?

Episode 1: Thomas and the Billboard
Written by Mark Robertson
Kind of interesting that the previous episode I reviewed was the season 11 finale, and the next episode (this one) is the season 12 premiere, isn't it?

I do feel it's kind of petty of Thomas to get worked up all because Diesel obscured him by accident - and I mean a genuine mistake. And it's also strange that a billboard would be completed within a day, and the accident? Yeah, it was quite ridiculous. For the CGI in this episode, I feel it was not too bad for a first attempt. Sure, the faces are a bit off, but they did get better over time. It's quite good on the whole, with its moral about not letting a small mistake get the better of you (and trust me, I know what that's like). 

Episode 3: Rosie's Funfair Special
Written by Andrew Viner
Remember; I don't judge an episode based on who turns up. Stepney might have turned up because his book was Andrew Viner's favorite, but it feels like he was just there because fanservice. Personally, I don't have any interest in him showing up in full CGI if he's to be treated like a Sodor resident instead of, oh, I don't know, a full time Bluebell Railway resident? However, if we bring forth the fact that Flying Scotsman showed up in The Great Race and appears as a mainland resident, then maybe.

Okay, onto the actual episode itself, and you know what else is surprising about the cast of characters? A) There's no pointless cameo appearance by Thomas (thankfully), and (B) the two main characters are both female. That was actually surprising, even for the Barlow era, and it feels as though it tried to give Rosie some character other than being a crazed stalker, but I'm sure she could handle the train herself. That said, how'd she not notice her train getting lighter? The story itself is quite good, but would I rank it one of the all-time best? Eh, not necessarily. If I do want to see an episode with two female leading characters, I'd go for Best Engine Ever.

Episode 8: Excellent Emily
Written by Paul Larson
I don't know about you, but I think season 12 felt like it contained a lot of fan-service. Rosie's Funfair Special featured Stepney, as mentioned above. This episode, however, features Murdoch, Bulgy, Trevor, and, of course, Duck. And fans went nuts. I will not for the sake of a serious review.

For the episode itself, it does feel like Paul Larson seems to enjoy writing for Emily (see No Snow for Thomas and Emily Saves the World for context), and moral wise, it felt a bit like a mashup of The Spotless Record and Emily's Adventure, which, you guessed it, were also written by Paul Larson - "Nobody's perfect" for the former, and "Ask for help" for the latter. I also got vibes of Peter Sam and the Prickly Problem when Emily pushed the tree up to the top of the hill.

The episode on whole is okay, but the plot really needed more originality.

Thomas and Friends Season 12 Scorecard
1. Thomas and the Billboard: 7
3. Rosie's Funfair Special: 8
5. Henry Gets it Wrong: 1
6. Heave Ho Thomas!: 7
8. Excellent Emily: 5
9. The Party Surprise: 3
10. Saved You!: 3
12. James Works it Out: 7
13. Tram Trouble: 5
14. Don't Go Back: 1
15. Gordon Takes a Shortcut: 3
16. The Man in the Hills: 2
18. Percy and the Bandstand: 6
19. Push Me, Pull You: 0
20. Best Friends: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment