Saturday, October 7, 2017

MLP Episode 703: A Flurry of Emotions

So, my reviews for the season premiere episodes actually went down pretty well. There's still many more episodes to cover, so let's continue with A Flurry of Emotions.

In season six, I felt that Flurry Heart had a lot of untapped potential, but the episodes she appeared in were either boring or frustrating to sit through. The fact that she was in the middle of a pointless story arc revolving around Starlight didn't really do the baby much favors. This episode, I thought, did do Flurry justice.

I feel much of it lies down to her bond with Twilight and how the latter is written; she wants to spend time with her niece, but at the same time, she's got a schedule to stick to, but ends up getting distracted. Good thing she's got Spike to help keep her check.

Shining Armor and Cadance's subplot doesn't have much screentime, but I'm not bothered. The past incidents they mentioned with Flurry's cheekiness, I think, could be great stories on their own, as well as adorable. Actually, that word is perhaps the best to describe this episode, along with heartwarming, especially when Shining and Cadance were close to crying thinking about their daughter.

All that said, I only have two complaints. For one, Spearhead doesn't have much depth apart from knowing Shining and Cadance when they were younger. Sure, he's an artist in his own right, but that's pretty much it, really.

The second one is a problem which has been bugging me since The Crystalling - Equestrian babies are inconsistent. What I mean is that the designs of Pound and Pumpkin Cake clash against Flurry's. Flurry has eyes like the older foals and adult ponies, but the Cake twins simply have colored irises with white shine and no eye white. I know animation doesn't affect the story, but can't we have visual consistency with the younger ponies? This episode (as well as Once Upon a Zeppelin) made that issue obvious.

Final Thoughts
Other than my complaint with the designs of baby ponies (it doesn't affect how I feel about the episode, but it was worth noting), there's not a whole lot I can say about this episode. Sammie and Whitney did an excellent job for their first script, and I think they have potential for MLP. If they were this good here, then I wonder what their writing is like on The Loud House.

Rating: 10 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Any time you see Flurry with another baby, and that baby has the dot eyes of Pound and Pumpkin, think of Silver Quill's theory about the eyes of infants in relation to major and background characters.

    ReplyDelete