Monday, December 18, 2017

MLP Episode 717: To Change a Changeling

Given my strong dislike for Thorax as a character, I felt I would not like this episode at all, but could To Change a Changeling actually turn out to be really good?

The answer is... yes, surprisingly!

Put simply, it's Thorax's best episode to date. Although, given how adequate Triple Threat was, how awful The Times They Are A Changeling was, and that I'm rethinking my views on To Where and Back Again, there isn't much of a contest to begin with. Of course, it does stem from how I feel Thorax is the most disappointing character of the entire show.

Anyway, the episode proper. I liked Pharynx as a character, and his introduction was entertaining to watch, as was (even if I'm not a fan of his brother) his relationship with Thorax. Pharynx isn't very fond of his brother's differing views to the rest of the swarm (and later, his leadership over the reformed swarm), but he does care for him all the same.

Though it does lead to something I find confusing. It's been implied that Chrysalis was the mother to all Changelings. By this logic, shouldn't all Changelings be brothers and sisters to each other? Does it mean that hatchling Changelings are- You know what? Never mind; we're not going there.

Starlight's role in the episode was fairly serviceable, though, again, kind of odd that she and Trixie didn't invite Spike to join them since he's friends with Thorax. Then again, he may have other matters to deal with, and if that were the case, I can understand. That being said, Starlight making a comment about Trixie being "second best" is really funny; can we have more of Snark-light, please? That would be entertaining to watch on its own!

Oh yeah, and I can't review the episode without mentioning Starlight being the voice of reason to Trixie's impulsiveness, and telling off the Changelings for not helping until...

The battle against the Dread Maulwurf. It gives Pharynx his sense of purpose in the hive, and it explains to the audience (and the hive) why he's necessary to the group. Though it does lead me, awkwardly, onto the episode's theme about change. It's better handled than how it was in Thorax's debut, which I thought was going to be about not judging people before you know them, but instead came off as muddled because of that damned song.

Final Thoughts
I may have had some beef with past episodes that this episode references, but To Change a Changeling is one you cannot overlook. It's fairly entertaining, Pharynx was an interesting character (and more charismatic than Thorax has ever been), and the theme was a useful one for kids to learn. It was something I didn't expect myself.

Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment